Who We Are
Minnewaska Community Health Services is a non-profit, faith-based senior living organization serving various communities in Minnesota. Established as the Minnewaska Lutheran Home in 1958, MCHS provides services to area seniors with facilities located in Starbuck, Hoffman, Balaton, Walnut Grove and beyond. MCHS is affiliated with nine local area Lutheran churches.
Minnewaska Community Health Services has a rich history of providing high-quality care. On July 23, 1961, Governor Elmer E. Anderson dedicated the first home, Minnewaska Lutheran Home, which has evolved over the years to become what Minnewaska Community Health Services is today. It was built as a “home for the aged,” with the intention of providing happiness and comfort in a Christian environment to serve our residents.
The original home provided space for 38 residents. It was expanded in 1970, 1972, 1974, 1989, and 2005 to become the facility it is today. Minnewaska Therapy was added a few years after the Home’s inception date to provide additional services to the community, offering inpatient and outpatient services. In 1989, Holly Ridge Manor was built, adding 20 assisted living units to the MCHS inventory. It has provided secure community living to those who need peace-of-mind, with residents conveniently located close to downtown.
Recent expansions include an addition to Holly Ridge Manor and a new memory care and assisted living facility in Hoffman, Minnesota. Both of these facilities opened in 2018.
MCHS is governed by a Board of Directors made up of representatives from our partner congregations and the community at large. The board meets regularly to discuss business needs and to help secure a healthy future for MCHS.
We are a non-profit, faith-based organization committed to being:
“A community of services, grounded in faith, providing person-centered care that encourages all people to reach their highest potential.”
- We are a “home of caring hands.” We strive to provide friendly, respectful and honest relationships that promote team understanding and participation.
- We strive to provide excellence by using updated practices, offering a home-like environment, with dedication and loyalty to all we serve.
- We build quality relationships with those we serve by providing excellent care in a confidential, respectful and courteous manner.
- We promote integrity by using ethical business practices by having honest and productive relationships with service providers that enable us to fulfill our mission.
- We strive to be charitable in our mission by giving back to the community through public education, by providing space for community functions and by participating in community events.